Monday, September 19, 2022

Discussed in LabSim Chapter 1.4.7 Internet Safety and Security (A Brief Talk on Internet Shopping Fraud)

        The application of the Internet has become an indispensable part of our life. Whether it's a dinner with colleagues, online shopping, a family trip, etc. Most of us rely on the Internet to find the information we need. Yet the Internet is only minimally regulated. In other words, the online information is not 100% accurate or reliable. Even the security of some data cannot be guaranteed. Network fraud is very prevalent in the current network environment. Network fraud refers to the purpose of illegal possession, the use of the Internet to fabricate facts or conceal the truth of the method, and swindling a more enormous amount of public and private property behavior. It has a variety of tricks, and it cheats with each passing day. Commonly used means are fake friends, phishing, online banking upgrade fraud, the main characteristics of space virtualization, behavior concealment, etc. I will share with you a few common examples to raise awareness.

(1) Online shopping fraud.

        Criminals set up fake shopping websites or Amazon stores. Once the owner has placed an order, they say the system is down and needs to be reactivated. Then, through mobile phone SMS to send false activation website fraud.

(2) Low price shopping fraud.

        Criminals release transfer information such as second-hand cars, second-hand computers, and goods confiscated by customs through the Internet and mobile phone messages. Once the owner contacts them, they cheat them out of money by "paying the deposit" and "transaction tax commission."

(3) brush network (online shop) evaluation reputation fraud.

        Criminals claim that they want to open online shops and need to quickly refresh the trading volume, online praise, and reputation. They promised to return shopping fees and extra commission after the transaction. Then the victims must shop or buy in the designated online shop at a high price. 

        There are many similar cases and examples. So this requires us to access the Internet simultaneously and master some ability to distinguish between true and false information. Of course, all this takes time and experience. As long as we keep our greed, lust, and curiosity in check, it's easy to get around wire fraud. 

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the three examples on how scammers operate :-)

    Best defense again social engineering (scams) is to be diligent.

    If it's too good to be true, it probably is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never ceases to amaze me the length that scammers will go to get a few bucks out of hard working people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a few weeks of this class made me feel a lot better about computers. I have learned more about computers than I ever had in my entire life. As Mr. 305 (Pitbull) said, " I don't know about you.... but I feel good."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic Rui. Thank you for your informative post. It seems like internet criminals are never going to stop what they do. I noticed they are getting smarter. A new way of scamming I found is through Fake-Face. It's a face generator that uses AI and scammers are using this program to illegally use a famous person's face to commit online crimes. I think it has gotten so scary that our physical appearance is not safe either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rui (Ray) gave some good examples. I have yet to hear about the third example, "brushing", he gave so I quickly Googled it and found a variant of it:

      https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-27/what-is-brushing-why-is-it-on-rise-during-coronavirus-pandemic/12602084

      I heard about your example of Fake-Face during the height of the pandemic. My next three blog posts will touch on artificial intelligence, facial recognition, and deep fake :-)

      Delete
  5. I run a ebay Store. I have dealt with fake customers, fake orders etc... over the years. My success rate is currently at 99% and has been consistent over the years. It is true when buying on the various platforms to do your homework and pay attention to the customer feedback. Excellent source of information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing I thought of when reading your post was that I am grateful for learning the difference between HTTP and HTTPS. I now know that if I hover over the link I can see which it may be and not to click on it if there isn't an S at the end. I have this class to thank for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rui, the information in this post is very informative and alarming. I think as years pass scammers manage to create new ways to scam people. I wonder if there will ever be an app or something that will block scamming crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had recently dealt with a face buyer on Facebook marketplace attempting to gain access to my google voice number by asking me to send them 6 digits to verify if I am a real person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this. I did not know about brushing, and how I might have to watch out for these types of scammers now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've watched videos of others experiencing all three common types of shopping fraud on the Internet and thankfully they've taught me to become very aware of my shopping activity. It's actually alarming to see how scammers improve their tactics, and I feel especially sad for audiences who aren't very tech-savvy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this information. Scammers are always finding new ways to scam people, so you should always be careful when sharing any information or while surfing the web.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the useful internet information. In todays world of technology there is plenty of ways to protect your online user experience, e.g. VPN and other sources. Though I have never experience any fraud from shopping, seems like you need to know a lot to scam other people on the internet. Can we share more ways to protect ourselves from a bad online experience?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know some of this thank you Rui for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing! I have seen these kinds of scams on the internet. Usually, my mom is the one who nearly gets trapped into them and I have to stop her before she does it. I believe it is awful they usually target helpless people through Facebook ads.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really a shame how far scammers have come and the amount of knowledge needed to keep from getting ensnared!, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I find it incredibly intriguing how, as was explained in class, a single changing code in the URL may completely alter the page you explore. We should be mindful of the websites we visit and be able to identify those that are scams, as you indicated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's crazy how scammers will go above and beyond to trick and swindle people, but wont go above and beyond to acquire a well paying job so they don't have to trick and swindle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the helpful information. I get so many scam calls and texts it annoys me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is always someone trying to get something out of people with having to "work for it" and as technology advances those means of scamming become more elaborate and advance themselves. The concepts are the same as yesteryears, but they seem much more difficult to recognize, identify, and avoid as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete